Philip practices in the areas of professional regulation and labour law, primarily providing advocacy for health care professionals in grievance arbitrations and at professional Colleges. He also represents employees in investigations, quasi-criminal regulatory proceedings and at Coroners' Inquests.
In 2004, Philip graduated from the University of Toronto with a combined J.D. and M.A. in International Relations. He articled at Cavalluzzo, and then returned to practice labour arbitration, professional regulation and criminal defence work, providing representation for union members in a variety of proceedings. After living in Ireland for a few years, Philip returned to Cavalluzzo. He continues to represent both individuals and unions in diverse fora including the Labour Board, grievance arbitration, professional Colleges, Coroner's Inquests, and at all levels of courts in Ontario.
Notable Cases include:
• Inquest Into the Death of Jeffrey Baldwin, 2013: With Freya Kristjanson, represented the surviving siblings of Jeffrey Baldwin in Inquest addressing child welfare in Ontario.
• St. Joseph's Hospital and ONA, (2013) 115 C.L.A.S. 164 (Stephens): With Elizabeth McIntyre, successfully argued that the Hospital was required to pay the deductible under the Ontario Drug Benefit in excess of the deductible in under the extended health benefits plan.
• Ontario College of Teachers v. William Fabel, 2005 – 2008: With David Bloom, successfully defended licence of teacher accused of multiple allegations of professional misconduct.
• Inquest Into the Deaths of Pedro Lopez and Ezelldine El-Roubie ("Casa Verde" Inquest), 2005: With Kate Hughes, represented the Ontario Nurses' Association as a party with public interest standing in Inquest addressing behavioural issues and resident safety in Long-Term Care facilities.
• Sault Ste. Marie Area Hospital and Ontario Nurses' Association, 2015 CanLII 55643 (ON LA): With Kate Hughes, overturned an unreasonable Hospital policy which required nurses to wear a surgical mask for the duration of the influenza season if they had not received the influenza vaccination.